March 17, 2020

An now...a poem by John Milton


Eye Appointment


Today I'm at an eye appointment with my partner Chris.  Had we been at school, I would not have been able to be here with him; he'd have probably taken an Uber to his appointment.  So, I'm pretty grateful that I can be here with him today.


I don't know how many of you all know, but my partner is legally blind. He's been slowly losing his eye sight for years but about two years ago, he was declared legally blind by doctors.  

The last two years have been a period of relearning how to do things or becoming accustomed to doing things differently...or just NOT doing them.

One of the things he's had to learn that he can't do is play soccer.  Chris used to be a forward and a really great one at that but losing his eye sight meant that he could no longer see the ball coming at him.  At first, he lost some play time -- then he lost more; finally he decided that he couldn't play. Another thing he flat out just cannot be doing is, of course drive. Imagine how hard that must have been for him?

It has definitely been infinitely more difficult for him than it has for me but I've had to learn just how to be helpful and patient as we both learn and adjusts to our new way of doing things.  For example, I have had to learn that he won't just see where I am if we're both at Walmart or meeting somewhere.  I have to make sure I reach out and wave or let him know where I am first. This means, I need to be aware of where he is.  As a result, we now tend to avoid crowded spaces where he may lose track of me.

You are probably wondering what that has to do with poetry.  Well, in the 1600s John Milton wrote a sonnet "On his blindness." He wrote this as he thought about the struggle of losing his eye sight.  Here it is:

When I consider how my light is spent,
   Ere half my days, in this dark world and wide,
   And that one Talent which is death to hide
   Lodged with me useless, though my Soul more bent
To serve therewith my Maker, and present
   My true account, lest he returning chide;
   “Doth God exact day-labour, light denied?”
   I fondly ask. But patience, to prevent
That murmur, soon replies, “God doth not need
   Either man’s work or his own gifts; who best
   Bear his mild yoke, they serve him best. His state
Is Kingly. Thousands at his bidding speed
   And post o’er Land and Ocean without rest:
   They also serve who only stand and wait.”

When John Milton refers to his light, that's a metaphor for life.  How will he spend his days?  What will he do?  Basically, John Milton was feeling like he'd lost his purpose.  By the end of the poem, John Milton has changed his mindset and decided to do the very best he possibly can with his situation.

How does this sonnet apply to us?
I believe every person is given one special or several talents. Once we do find our gifts/talents; I believe we should practice them and learn how to use them so that we can apply them and persevere in even the bleakest, darkest of situations.  I know we're all facing a tough situation now, but let's use this time in a positive way.  Love you all, hugs šŸ’—



No comments:

Post a Comment