September 21, 2011

A troubled George Washington's Spy

Chapter 19

I don't know that I would know what to do or think if I found myself in a Loyalist household like the girls nor that I could be quite as untrusting as Moses.  It seems like he trusts no one, that must be one lonely life especially since finding out he's just lost the brother he so looked up to.



The girls seem like they are very troubled and confused, so does Matt.  What are you supposed to think when the Loyalists and Redcoats have been so maligned and yet...they seem to be so nice.  How is that possible?  I can see why they would be so confused I mean people can seem nice but does that always mean that they are nice?  Hmmm...

Maybe good people can sometimes make bad choices.  It seems that this very thought is troubling Matt as Chapter 19 comes to a close.  Although, the girls and Matt are having trouble with this very thought about good and bad people I think Benjamin Franklin's problem is still more troubling.  Here is the question for the week:

Ben Franklin and his son were on separate sides of the war. Imagine what it would be like if your family was divided in two. What kind of arguments might you have had with them?

Remember to answer in 1) complete sentences and complete thoughts and 2) provide support for your opinions!!!


17 comments:

  1. Remember, many of the Patriots were probably English. They are the same people except they don't think they are and they have different beliefs. Spies could be anybody, even an old washer women, a school boy, or even an American general! Benedict Arnold was a British double spy and was also one of General Washington's most prized men.

    I will use the example with me and my brother. If we were on separate sides, we would have a lot of disagreements, like we do anyway. I would probly feel how Moses felt, like he didn't have a sister anymore. Many people switched sides because they thought that side would win, or because they wanted to mary someone on the other side. If you were in the military, you could have been a deserter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have a big argument with my son if I was Ben franklin

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wod have tolld mi son of and i wode haved argud somach with him i wode hate him die son

    Dylan

    ReplyDelete
  4. if i was ben frankliyn i would have different confliccs like saying red coats are so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I had to separate my family the kind of

    conflicts would be how would you stay with that

    part of the family.

    savannah

    ReplyDelete
  6. We would argue about whose side is better and I bring him over to america.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I might try to persuade the other members of my family who were on the other side to come back to our side and if that didn't work than I would try something else. I think that other thing would not come to me in tel I was faced with that decision in real life. people seam incapable of making desperate decision unless they are in a desperate situation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the loelest wer fiting for the worg side

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would say that they are evil.

    ReplyDelete
  10. maya said


    i would be so mad if he did that . we would argue for ever.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would probably fight for what i thought was fair.But then again,the redcoats thought what they where doing was 'fair'...........

    IRIS

    ReplyDelete
  12. Quica said

    i would be so mad if i had to argue

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh and also i do not like the redcoats!
    i would be on George Washington's side and if any of my family was on the british side I would be VERY mad and try to make them change.

    IRIS

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think we all agree we would try to make them change but think about Thomas (he was Moses) and his sister. What a unique situation that is! There he is, hurt and bleeding and all his sister and her husband want to do is get him the heck out of there!!!

    On the one hand, its nice of them to at least allow him to stay but on the other, he's near death! Then there's also the fact that Thomas is totally using his sister and her husband's "kind heart" but also wants them to LEAVE the country if the Patriots win...so many lines seem to be blurred!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Quica

    i would start yelling but that would be inberesing

    ReplyDelete
  16. well i would argue with him to live his own life and go to abetter place.


    so wen you are big you can go to a university

    ReplyDelete
  17. It wii be wierde not to be my time

    ReplyDelete