February 4, 2012

Two of my favorite series

The Kane Chronicles

Read the first chapter of Serpent's Shadow!!!
Rick Riordan is one of my favorite authors since Percy Jackson.  I'm excited that the latest installments of his current series will be out soon!  The Kane Chronicles' Serpents Shadow will be out on May 1st.  The cover's been released and it looks AMAZING!

Rick reports in his blog that its his favorite Kane Chronicles' cover.  I really want to learn what they do with Apophis...and I want to see if they'll be able to put Ra back together again.  I'm not as knowledgeable about Egyptian gods as I am about the Greek and Roman gods so sometimes I'm a bit lost in the book.

Riordan though does a really great job of not letting his readers get lost for a lack of knowledge.  Pretty soon after introducing a new character he explains how they fit in to the story and their role in Egyptian mythology.  In case you're at all interested, here's an audio performance of Chapter 1 of Serpent's Shadow.  Or if you'd rather read it, click on the link under the picture.  It's awesome!



Heroes of Olympus
Another book I'm excited about is the latest in the Heroes of Olympus series!  The title's what got me all giddy!  Its titled Mark of Athena.  Athena is my favorite Greek goddess but I like her more as Minerva (Roman counterpart).  I'm named after this goddess, so she's my favorite in the Pantheon.  In this series Percy Jackson has begun another quest but he's lost!

Interactive Map of Camp Jupiter
He's so lost that he's found camp Jupiter (Roman counterpart to Zeus!)  See, Percy belongs in the Greek gods' world NOT the Romans!  So, I'm hoping that finally he gets to see Annabeth again and because of the title I just know he will!  I hope he's reunited with his brother Tyson too!  Tyson is one of my favorite characters from the Percy Jackson series and in the last book, Percy was able to communicate briefly with Tyson.  I wonder what will happen once he's able to regain his full memory. 

There are many connections to make in the series, especially if you've read the old myths.  There are constant references to Greek and Roman mythology.  For example, Percy's name is actually Perseus an old mythological hero.  The series is highly entertaining and will have you wondering if you're a half-blood!  I know that according to this highly fictional quiz, I'm 67% Olympian!  Haha!  I knew Athena was my ancestor!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment