February 8, 2012

The Hunger Games





I have absolutely loved the series to the point I'd be up until past midnight reading!  It is an addicting series! I'm really glad that so many of you in class have been reading the first book, there are three books in the series. 
Book 1 is the Hunger Games, book 2 is Catching Fire and book 3 is Mockingjay. 
The book is set in Panem, in what used to be the USA.  The country is no longer a Republic, where the people vote; instead the President is pretty much a dictator.  Basically what the President says, goes.  It is an interesting book to read after our Important Documents unit, where we studied the Constitution and the beliefs of our founding fathers.

The US was built on the belief that everyone deserves the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  The Constitution was written with the belief that when the government turns dictatorial it is the people's responsibility to change it.  This concept is in direct opposition to what is occurring in Panem.  In Panem, the people don't aren't all treated equitably and they don't have the freedom of speech.  The heroine Katniss and her friends Gale & Peeta always have to watch what they say.
Katniss & Peeta
To learn more about the series you can go to Scholastic.com's site for the Hunger Games.  Katniss and Peeta wind up in the Hunger Games.  The worst reality show ever!  The winner of the game is basically the person who is willing to be the most brutal killer of all 24 participants.  The games are the most intense book moments I've ever read but also some of the most heartwarming.  During the games, the reader learns that obviously not all 24 participants are glad to be there.  They'll have to either kill or be killed to stay alive and on live television for all of Panem to watch!
This is such an interesting book that a movie is already in the works and set to come out on March 23rd!  Above is Theatrical Trailer #2 its so exciting!  However, I always like my movies to match my books and I've already caught a "mistake."  It has to do with the mockingjay pin...can you find what was changed for the movie??
The story behind the mockingjay pin was changed for the movie.  Can you spot the change?
I found two great games!  I learned that I would NOT have made it through the Games...not surprising!  In Trial by Fire you find out if you are ready for the Hunger Games. Test your abilities and see if you will be able to survive the real thing. Remember, there is only one path to survival.  Tribute Trials is an online game where you find out if you could survive a situation like the Hunger Games?  It takes more than just strength, or smarts, or stealth.  I'm not a fighter nor a killer, even if I tried so, no matter how many times I tried to pass the games I kept losing.  Would you make it in the Hunger Games???  Try it and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment