June 23, 2014

NM Battle of the Books 2015!

Looking for summer reading material?  

Why not check out the NM Battle of the Books List for 2015?

Here's a preview of books you will find on the list for Elementary School students:

Dancing Home by Alma Flor Ada and Gabriel Zubizarreta 

This book is one I can totally relate to.  When I was ten, I moved to the US and was placed in an all English 5th grade classroom.  I did not speak English and needed someone to teach me the ropes, to help me and translate for me.  I was happy to find my first American friend Darcy D. who promised to help me learn English if I'd help her learn Spanish.  This would be a GREAT read for any of us because we're all learning a second language at Cien Aguas.

Through My Eyes by Ruby Bridges  
It'd be AWESOME if you all started off the year having some background knowledge on the Civil Rights Movement and Ruby Bridges!  In fifth grade, we have a very exciting Civil Rights Movement Unit and this would be a perfect read.  Go to Ruby Bridges' site to learn more.


Flora and Ulysses by Kate DiCamillo

When I read the title I thought it'd have something to do with a superhero - but then I learned that Ulysses is a squirrel???  Yes!  After an unfortunate vacuum cleaner incident, Ulysses our unlikely hero befriends Flora and both are changed.  Wanna know more?  Watch the book trailer or...read the book!


Wonder by R.J. Palacio

"You can't blend in when you were born to stand out."


Wonder is the book I WISH I'd purchased at the book fair!  Ugh, I'm so bummed I didn't buy it! It's a book about a ten-year old boy.  All he wants to do is blend in - like most of us.  Instead of blending in, he's born to stand out!  After he's been home schooled all this time, he now has to "face the world" and go to school with other kids.  Sounds like an awesome book!!!  I'm so going to go buy it!   

So, my dear 5th graders; there you have it a shortened list of some of the books you can begin reading now to prepare for the Battle of the Books!  Tell Sra. Ruth I asked you to read them in June ;) 

See you soon!
Love,
Raff

No comments:

Post a Comment