March 25, 2020

A Sing Along Book!

Nappy Hair

Me, with my parents 1980s

Let me tell you a bit about me when I was little.  My mom used to brush and braid my hair every single day.  


Did I enjoy it?  NO! 





By the time mom had finished brushing my hair, my eyes hurt from being pulled back into a super tight pony tail that tamed all my curls. 







I was only able to wear my hair loose on special occasions and when my mom and tías would put all sorts of hair products on it to make it stay put.






I think that's why I longed for straight hair. I thought it was "easier" to brush and have than my hair. It took me a long time to just like my own hair - silly, I know but it did!
I was 9 years old here and moving
to the US from México.
This was our passport picture;
my mom and sisters are pictured.

The book I'm reading aloud today is about hair and it's one of my family's favorite books!  


Learning Targets:

* I can identify simile, metaphor, personification and hyperbole in Nappy Hair.
* I can share Nappy Hair with a person at home (or a buddy online) and find 3 pieces of figurative language.
* I can draw and share my favorite piece of figurative language from Nappy Hair.
* I can analyze the impact of a specific word choice, their meaning and tone in Nappy Hair.


The type of storytelling in this book is known as call and response. This type of telling stories was created by slaves in the 1800s.  You'll hear Quica here, she's helping me with today's read aloud so you understand how it's supposed to be read.



In this story, Brenda's family comes to a picnic and Uncle Mordecai describes Brenda's hair, turning it into a symbol of her history, her heritage and her strength.  

Assignments:  
2)  Take the Accelerated Reading Quiz for this book


2 comments: